Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Reposting since I think this is a good recipe for the holidays.

We all know how flavors get trendy. Pomegranate is the current example. One that is also a popular trend right now is sticky toffee pudding. An English classic, it has been seen more and more in the U.S. and, in 2006, was the winning new flavor for Haagan Daz's ice cream.

I had been wanting to try it, both tasting and baking it. When hearing, reading, or seeing about it on the Food Network I was under the impression that it is a super moist and decadent dessert. So when I had it at Mulvaney's (see review) I was disappointed even though I had nothing to compare it with. But this disappointment pushed me to make it myself.

I found several recipes on the internet and ended up mixing elements from a few to make my version. I recommend one site, Visual Recipes.

In the end I found my version to hit the high expectations I had of this dessert. Mine is super moist. Interestingly, I don't like dates. But dates are a main ingredient in this recipe. They help to add the moisture. I hope you enjoy it. I sure did.



Sticky Toffee Pudding

3/4 c chopped dates
2 c water
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
2 t baking powder
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c flour
Toffee sauce (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a springform pan and set aside.

Put the chopped dates, cinnamon sticks and water into a high-sided saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer while you prep the rest of the ingredients.

In a mixing bowl, use a hand blender to cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and flour and blend until smooth.

By now the dates should be nicely softened and the water thickened. Remove the cinnamon sticks. Add the baking powder and be aware that it is going to foam up. Mix together and then pour the whole date mixture into the batter. Blend them together well.

Pour batter into springform pan. Bake for about 30 mins or until a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean. Poke holes into the cake using a skewer.

Take 1/2 c of toffee sauce and pour over cake so it will soak into the holes.

Cut and serve warm with additional toffee sauce on top.

Toffee Sauce

3/4 c raw sugar
1/2 c butter
1 c heavy cream

In a saucepan, melt together the butter and sugar. Stir continuously. When the sugar is dissolved, add cream. Continue stirring as you bring mixture to a boil and then lower to simmer. Keep stirring until the sauce has thickened. Pour warm sauce over cake before serving.




Dates- تمر