Apricot Almond Galette



I had never cooked with fresh apricots before. Now it is apricot season and I'm reading about how lucky we are to have fresh apricots at our disposal. That 95% of all apricots come from California. So I figure it's time to make something. I had one Pillsbury crust left in the freezer so I figured I'd do a down and dirty, quick galette. I'm all for cheating once and a while and Pillsbury pie crust is a great cheat.

I quartered about 10 small apricots and just lightly tossed them in about 1/4 cup of sugar. I had read about an almond paste for a different dessert and decided to try that too. So I ground up 1 cup of almonds (or buy almond meal) with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. I then mixed in 1 egg to create a paste.

I laid out the pie crust and spread the almond paste evenly in the center up to about 1/2 inch from the edges of the crust. I then piled on my sugared apricots. I folded up my edges and then baked the galette at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. I melted a bit of apricot jam and spread that over the top of the finished galette as a glaze.



Verdict? Darn good. I love the nuttiness of the almond paste and the tartness of the apricots. It was just a bit on the dry side. I thought the apricots would be juicier than they were. Problem solver? Ice cream or whipped cream. I'll definitely make this again and also try different fruit. I might also use the apricot/almond paste combo for this month's Daring Bakers challenge. So check that out at the end of the month.


Apricot



Almonds